The Basic Meaning of Strength (Rider-Waite)
The basic meaning of the Strength card (Rider-Waite) is one of courage, endurance and inner strength. In the Rider-Waite deck, the card is depicted as a woman gently opening the jaw of a lion, symbolizing patience and control over our instincts and fears.
Strength – Upright Meaning
Strength is the eighth card in the Major Arcana and represents inner strength, courage, patience, and compassion. It symbolizes the ability to face challenges with grace, understanding, and emotional resilience. The Strength card encourages you to harness your inner power and to approach difficult situations with a calm and collected demeanor. Key aspects of the upright Strength include:
- Inner Strength: Harnessing your inner power, self-discipline, and emotional resilience to overcome obstacles and face challenges with grace.
- Courage: Facing your fears and standing up for what you believe in, even in the face of adversity or opposition.
- Patience: Remaining patient and understanding in difficult situations, allowing yourself the time and space to process emotions and make well-considered decisions.
- Compassion: Showing empathy, kindness, and understanding towards yourself and others, recognizing the importance of emotional connections in your life.
- Self-Control: Managing your emotions and impulses effectively, demonstrating restraint and maturity in your actions and decision-making.
Strength – Reversed Meaning
When the Strength card appears reversed, it can signify a lack of inner strength, self-doubt, impatience, or feeling overwhelmed. This card often represents a situation where someone is struggling to find the courage or emotional resilience to face challenges or overcome obstacles. The reversed Strength can also indicate a need to develop self-control, compassion, or patience. Key aspects of the reversed Strength include:
- Lack of Inner Strength: Feeling overwhelmed or powerless in the face of challenges, and struggling to find the emotional resilience to cope.
- Self-Doubt: Questioning your own abilities, confidence, or self-worth, which can hinder your progress and ability to face challenges.
- Impatience: Experiencing frustration or impatience in difficult situations, which may lead to rash decisions or emotional outbursts.
- Lack of Compassion: Struggling to empathize or connect emotionally with others, potentially causing misunderstandings or strained relationships.
- Poor Self-Control: Failing to manage your emotions and impulses effectively, leading to impulsive actions or decision-making.
The Strength card, whether upright or reversed, emphasizes the importance of inner strength, courage, patience, and compassion in your life. It serves as a reminder to cultivate emotional resilience, remain calm and composed in the face of challenges, and to develop self-control and empathy for both yourself and others.
An example of an interpretation would be if Strength appears in a reading where the querent is feeling overwhelmed by a difficult situation, the card could encourage them to find their inner strength and courage to handle the problem. If the card is surrounded by other positive cards such as The Sun or The Star, it could indicate that the person will succeed in overcoming the challenges and come out stronger on the other side.