Seven of Swords
The basic meaning of the Seven of Swords (Rider-Waite
The basic meaning of the Seven of Swords (Rider-Waite) is that it represents deceit, trickery and secrecy. The card shows a person sneaking away with five swords in their hands while two more swords lie on the ground behind them. This card symbolizes someone acting in secret or trying to get away with something.
Seven of Swords – Upright Meaning
The Seven of Swords represents cunning, deception, and the use of stealth or strategy to achieve one’s goals. This card often signifies a situation where someone is trying to outwit others or keep certain information hidden. The Seven of Swords can also indicate the need for resourcefulness or unconventional tactics to navigate a challenging situation. Key aspects of the upright Seven of Swords include:
- Deception: Dishonesty, manipulation, or withholding information from others in order to gain an advantage.
- Stealth and Strategy: Employing tact and careful planning to navigate difficult situations or avoid confrontation.
- Resourcefulness: Using creativity, cleverness, or unconventional methods to achieve goals or solve problems.
- Independent Action: Taking matters into your own hands and pursuing your goals, sometimes without the support or knowledge of others.
- Calculating Risk: Assessing potential risks and taking calculated chances to further your objectives.
Seven of Swords – Reversed Meaning
When the Seven of Swords appears reversed, it can signify a revelation of deceit, the consequences of dishonest actions, or a change of tactics. This card often represents a situation where someone’s deception or hidden motives come to light, leading to a reckoning or resolution. The reversed Seven of Swords can also indicate the need to come clean, own up to one’s actions, or seek forgiveness. Key aspects of the reversed Seven of Swords include:
- Uncovered Deceit: Dishonest actions or hidden agendas being exposed, resulting in potential consequences or conflict.
- Change of Tactics: Recognizing that previous strategies are no longer effective or appropriate, and adapting to new circumstances.
- Taking Responsibility: Owning up to past mistakes, dishonesty, or manipulative behavior, and seeking to make amends.
- Revealing Secrets: Bringing hidden information or personal secrets to light, either willingly or through external circumstances.
- Learning from Mistakes: Reflecting on past actions and experiences, and learning valuable lessons about the importance of honesty, integrity, and transparency.
The Seven of Swords, whether upright or reversed, highlights the potential pitfalls of deception, dishonesty, and manipulation. It serves as a reminder to approach life with integrity, honesty, and openness, while also valuing resourcefulness and strategic thinking when facing challenges.
If the Seven of Swords appears in a reading about your relationships, it may be a sign that someone in your life may not be entirely honest with you, or that there are secrets impacting the relationship. It may be a reminder to be vigilant for signs of betrayal and to try to create an open and honest communication with your partner. If you yourself have been dishonest or kept something secret, the card may urge you to consider how this affects your relationship and if it’s time to come clean.